PDA

View Full Version : Stock head bolts?

Jivepepper
11-29-2007, 09:04 PM
How much boost can the stock head bolts hold, before you have to start worring about lifting the heads?

gmkillr
11-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Not much, go w/ some ARP studs.

Chris00GT
11-30-2007, 02:16 AM
I still have my stock head bolts on my 00GT. If for any reason I pull the heads I'd put ARP head studs in. My 91LX is N/A, but when I built it, I put everything ARP bolt wise in that I could do, just for added insurance. Also look at all the 03-04 cobra's out there running whipples and KB's with 21lbs of boost and stock head bolts and stock head gaskets. It's one thing about nice about mod motors, they rarely blow head gaskets or have head related problems.

Jivepepper
11-30-2007, 03:29 AM
I still have my stock head bolts on my 00GT. If for any reason I pull the heads I'd put ARP head studs in. My 91LX is N/A, but when I built it, I put everything ARP bolt wise in that I could do, just for added insurance. Also look at all the 03-04 cobra's out there running whipples and KB's with 21lbs of boost and stock head bolts and stock head gaskets. It's one thing about nice about mod motors, they rarely blow head gaskets or have head related problems.

Well I have heard that the 03-04 Cobra gaskets and bolts are better? I would like to push 19-20 psi.

gmkillr
11-30-2007, 05:39 AM
I was lifting my heads w/ about 14lbs. of boost w/ ARP headbolts, then I switchted over to ARP head studs and havent had a problem since.:goodidea:

Jivepepper
11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I was lifting my heads w/ about 14lbs. of boost w/ ARP headbolts, then I switchted over to ARP head studs and havent had a problem since.:goodidea:

I don't think they make make apr head bolts for the modular engine. Also I've been hitting 13-14psi on occasion for a couple years now.

I want to change them, just not until next year.

Chris00GT
11-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Ya, they don't make bolts for mod motors, but ARP has two different grade studs for mod motors.

Jivepepper
11-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Ya, they don't make bolts for mod motors, but ARP has two different grade studs for mod motors.

I know you want the ones with the hex in top I've heard. I wonder how much it would cost me to have new heads installed. labor only?

I really don't want to pull the motor apart again? Do you think the stockers could hold 20psi?