PDA

View Full Version : need help with 8.8 carrier bearing problem

DRRummel
06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
David,

Attached are a couple of pics of the housing. No rust here. Just black paint, and in some places chipped off from being moved around.

Learned a couple of things tonight. Not that good, to be honest with you. The rear had an open diff stuffed inside with no gears. So I pulled that out so I could stick my tape measure the whole way through to get a true width (which by the way is 54" from outside of the flange to the outside of the flange, and 56" total from tube end to tube end). So that's the good part. But I got to looking at one of the main bearing caps. One seems to fit perfectly, but one is slightly offset and doesn't seem to align well. This is weird. I know Mark Williams has a billet cap set that you can install that requires milling the height to set them up, but this seems like an alignment issue (like it needs line bored!). I am going to call Mark Williams tomorrow to pick their brains about this. Like it is, I sure wouldn't use it in my car, let alone sell it to anyone. Do you have any thoughts? I'll let you know what I find out. I hope I don't have a boat anchor on my hands... Any advice on what is going on here. If it is not the wrong cap, what could be the problem? Can it be fixed?

low12lightning
06-29-2007, 01:06 AM
You have mismatched caps. The only time you need to bore main caps on a rear end is after something melts down. Usually it's not worth fixing the housing. I wouldent mess with that piece unless you are going to get oversized caps machined fit.