PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix - 7/14 show

PaxtonShelby
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Ron George and I'm relatively new to SCS. Thanks to all of you who have welcomed me to this great site.

I want to invite all of you to bring your cars out to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix this year. If you've never come to this show you really should check it out - you'll enjoy it and will want to come back every year. There are events the entire week from 7/7/07 - 7/15/07, but the big show is Saturday, July 14th at Schenley Park in downtown Pittsburgh. We usually get 1000+ cars at the show. Cars are grouped in different locations throughout Schenley Park. I run the American Car Show there, and typically we get 200-300 cars in my area. Mustangs, Thunderbirds, Corvettes, GTOs, Avantis, Hudsons, Packards, Chevelles...the list goes on and on. I group cars by Make / Model, so you'll be parked with other Mustangs if that's what you bring. We park on the golf course in Schenley Park, so you don't get baked as badly as you would sitting in a parking lot somewhere. Registration is $20, which covers your admission for Saturday 7/14 and Sunday 7/15. All proceeds go to our charities, which are the Western PA Autism Society and the Allegheny Valley School ( for autistic children / adults ). They are wonderful charities that do great things for these special people.

Here is a link to a schedule of the events for this year's PVGP. Please take a minute to check it out:

http://pittsburghvintagegrandprix.com/pvgp/cwp/view.asp?A=3&Q=276517

I don't care what you drive, if you're a car guy / gal, you'll have a great time checking out the HUGE variety of cars at the show. There's something for everyone. American muscle, MGs, Triumphs, Jags, Porsches, BMWs, VWs, Mercedes, Audis, Ferraris, Austin Healeys,...you name it - it'll be there. Plus, there's the fact that on Saturday 7/14 you can watch the qualifying heats for the vintage races - watching the old racecars rip around the road course, sometimes sideways or on 3 wheels ( ever been sideways in a 70 year-old racecar? ). These cars are smaller displacement, but what they lack in power they more than make up for in guts and determination! On Sunday, 7/15, the actual races are held at the same location, and another car show ( although smaller than the Saturday show ) is held on the golf course. Remember, your $20 registration from Saturday also covers your entry on Sunday.

Also - if you just want to come down to the show and not enter your car, there will be public parking on Flagstaff Hill ( in Schenley Park ) for $10. That way you don't have to drive all around town looking for a parking space. And there are free shuttles from Flagstaff Hill to the other end of the park where the car shows are held. Spectator admission is free.

There are also some great events during the week leading up to the races. On Saturday 7/7 and Sunday 7/8 there is vintage racing at BeaveRun. BeaveRun is in Wampum, PA, about 45 minutes from the Greater Pgh Airport. This is where the BIG dogs run!! I went last year and had a BLAST watching REAL '66 Shelbys, a REAL competition 427 Cobra ( not street/competition, but the real deal - all out race!! ) and tons of other muscle/race cars absolutely get HAMMERED around the track!! I think admission was like $12 or so, but it was worth way more than that! You can walk around and check out all the cars in the pits, and chat with the owners / drivers about their cars and whatever else. And the crowds aren't huge, so there are plenty of awesome places to stand and watch the racing. Charge up those video recorders and digital cameras - because it's great to watch your "highlights" when the weather turns cold and there's nothing else car-related to do.

On Monday, 7/9, there's an invitation-only show on Walnut Street in Shadyside. Anyone is welcome to come down, but only invited cars can park in the show, as space is very limited. It's right outside of Doc's, which is a great bar on Walnut Street. You'll see a huge variety of cars there. Neat stuff that you don't see everyday.

On Tuesday, 7/10, there is a HUGE FREE cruise down at the Waterfront. From what I've heard, Jeff Gordon will be there this year with his racecar. I know he drives a Chevy, but that's pretty cool nonetheless if you ask me.

More details are available on the PVGP website listed above.

If you're still here, thanks for reading this far. I'm just a gearhead trying to make the PVGP grow, but I'd be attending these events even if I wasn't involved as a volunteer. It's a great time, and I really think all of you would enjoy it.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all about the event. If I can't answer any of them I'll find someone who can. Thanks again!

Ron

PaxtonShelby
06-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Have any of you guys / gals ever attended the PVGP, either entering the show or as a spectator? If so, please let me know your impression of the show. We're always looking to improve any way we can. It's a great event with something for everyone. So come on out this year! And feel free to ask me any questions you might have.

Thanks!

Ron
Chairman - American Car Show
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

fx-man
06-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Also at Beaverun the 7th and 8th is the PVGP Autocross put on by the Steel Cities SCCA. For $30 you can flog your car around the autox course AND walk over and watch the Classic muscle on the main track between your runs.:twothumbsup: Plus if you sign up for both days you have a chance to win a trophy and they serve a dinner Sat night.

map351
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Ron
I can never find the time to make it to the PVGP, but some of the cars i restored do.
I assume you know Zappa? I restored his 69 TVR Vixen,Lotus 23-B, Lotus 19, 65 Hipo fastback,Pantera. Also Jim Bracken's CSX-2575 289 Cobra (The last red int. cobra made 10 from the end) will be there on the show field, I did that one too..
One day I'll have my cobra there..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pca39b68720ebad967c7863dd9002b714/ea06e704.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/pb7f816f8a0b1e8db4a0b50669a2651e7/f5850c61.jpg

PaxtonShelby
06-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Map - I think I've seen your TVR before - sweet car!! Your other toys sound nice as well - I'm a big classic Mustang and Pantera fan! Any chance that hipo is for sale?!?! I might have seen that red 289 Cobra as well - maybe at the Greater Pgh Mustang Club show 2 weekends ago at Shults Ford? I can't remember if the one I saw there had red interior though. Amazing car. The Zappa name sounds familiar, but I can't place the face. Anyway, if you make it to the show this year stop by and say hi over on the American Car showfield, which is just below the clubhouse on Schenley Drive on Saturday 7/14.

Anyone else out there ever come to the PVGP show? C'mon guys, it's a great time! If you like watching cars being driven like they're stolen, you'll really enjoy the racing action. And the 1000+ show cars are fun too! Where else can you see American muscle, MGs, Triumphs, Jags, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, VW, Ferrari, Rolls, Lotus, Audi, and lots of other neat stuff ( like Map 351's TVR!!! ) at the same show? Spectator admission is FREE, so come on down!!!

map351
06-23-2007, 04:02 PM
The only Hipo parts i have left are for my 66 Hertz Car (6S1941) my Cobra and a few spare parts. All my 427/427Cammer/428 parts are gone..
I have a few Mexican main cap sets & Boss 302 caps.

05SonicBlue
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
map351: very nice TVR. a buddy of mine in wheeling has a white TVR 350i that he restored a few years back; fun car to drive.

i like vintage racing events, so will try to make it up to this year's PVGP

PaxtonShelby
07-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi all - the PVGP show is this Saturday, 7/14, in Schenley Park. Come on down for a great time - awesome cars - and really cool vintage racing action! Spectators get in for free. If you bring a showcar there's a $20 registration fee that goes to our charities. The $20 gets your car in the show on Saturday and Sunday. Come to the PVGP once and you'll be hooked and want to come back every year.

I'm running the American Car show there, so if you come, be sure to ask for me. I'd love to meet you and see your rides. Hopefully my car will be there - I sheared off a crank pulley bolt in my balancer the other day and have to get it fixed and back together.

Hope to see some of you this weekend!

Ron George

turbostang3.8L
07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
so the event on tuseday (today) whats the addy so i can put in my gps

One Sweet Day
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I went a few years back to watch with some friends. It was a good time and very kid friendly.:goodidea:

SAC81
07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
The Vintage Grand Prix is an AWESOME time. Unfortunately I'm out of town for it this year.

Wine Maker
07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I went a few years back to watch with some friends. It was a good time and very kid friendly.:goodidea:

What area would you recommend as kid friendly?

- I have three and would like to take them this weekend

One Sweet Day
07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
What area would you recommend as kid friendly?

- I have three and would like to take them this weekend
the races:goodidea: they liked seeing some of the old cars at the show areas, but thought it was really neat to watch them go!:pinkthumb: :yes:

PaxtonShelby
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Tonight's event ( the free cruise at the Waterfront ) is a good time. It should be packed.

The parking area is right near a Steak-n-Shake at the Waterfront. There should be signs everywhere. But the address of the Steak-n-Shake is:

650 Waterfront Dr E
Homestead, PA
Phone: (412) 461-6545

I can't make it tonight, but I'll be at Schenley Park ALL weekend. The show is on the golf course in the Park, so it's a nice place to hang out - way better than sitting on a hot parking lot like at most cruises / shows!

mineralrob
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Got there around 7. It was a nice show with a good turnout.:D

MinGry03
07-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Got there around 7. It was a nice show with a good turnout.:D

I seen you pull in....:thumbsup:

mineralrob
07-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Cool were u there cause i didnt see your car??