PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

PaxtonShelby
05-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi folks,

I'm Ron from Moon Twp ( west side of Pgh ). I have a 1966 Mustang. It's Ivy Green with white Shelby stripes, hood, side scoops, and R-model front valance, and black standard interior. I dropped in a 5.0 roller cam carbed motor with TFS heads, nice cam, 650 double pumper, and a Paxton Novi 1200. Long tubes and Flowmasters make it nice and loud. My T-5 tranny and Motorsport clutch are still hanging in there ( knock-knock ), as is my 9 inch Versailles 28 spline traction-lock rear with 3.50 gears. I have Global West suspension all around, and 16 x 8 Vintage 45 rims with 225/50/16 BFG Comp T/A's really keep it glued to the road. I only get to the track a few times a year, but last year she ran 12.1 @ 114 with a 1.88 60 foot time on Mickey Thompson ET Streets.

Love that boost!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :hyper: :jump:

somethingclever
05-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi folks,

I'm Ron from Moon Twp ( west side of Pgh ). I have a 1966 Mustang. It's Ivy Green with white Shelby stripes, hood, side scoops, and R-model front valance, and black standard interior. I dropped in a 5.0 roller cam carbed motor with TFS heads, nice cam, 650 double pumper, and a Paxton Novi 1200. Long tubes and Flowmasters make it nice and loud. My T-5 tranny and Motorsport clutch are still hanging in there ( knock-knock ), as is my 9 inch Versailles 28 spline traction-lock rear with 3.50 gears. I have Global West suspension all around, and 16 x 8 Vintage 45 rims with 225/50/16 BFG Comp T/A's really keep it glued to the road. I only get to the track a few times a year, but last year she ran 12.1 @ 114 with a 1.88 60 foot time on Mickey Thompson ET Streets.

Love that boost!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :hyper: :jump:

:goodidea:

Very cool!! Have any pics?

PS...do you have the global west front susp. with tubular arms and coilovers? And if so...how do you like it?

scott5
05-29-2007, 08:28 AM
welcome got any pics?

PaxtonShelby
05-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi guys - thanks for the nice welcome! I'll try to post a few pics - but I'm not too swift at this...here goes...

In the front, my Global west suspension consists of the tubular "negative wedge" upper control arms, coil springs, Koni shocks, and 1" sway bar. In back, I have their leaf springs, Cure Ride shocks, and del-a-lum spring bushings/shackles. Global West subframe connectors are welded in to shore up the unibody. The car handles great. I've owned 2 fox body Mustangs and they couldn't hold a candle to this car. It stops pretty well too with Granada front discs and Lincoln rear discs.

While I have your attention, let me tell you that I run the American Car Show at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. It's a great event, held in Schenley Park in downtown Pittsburgh each July. All proceeds to go our charities ( Autism Society of Western PA and the Allegheny Valley School for the handicapped ). If you want more info, check out the website ( www.pittsburghvintagegrandprix.com (http://www.pittsburghvintagegrandprix.com) ) and/or drop me a line. Last year I think we had over 1000 total cars at the show. And the vintage racing action in the Park is fun to watch.

Thanks again for the nice welcome - looking forward to learning a bunch from you guys!

Ron

scott5
05-29-2007, 09:17 AM
looks good.. is it raining in that pic or is it just my comp?

J-rod
05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
:woot1:

my new fav classic on the site!

PaxtonShelby
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Yep, that was a wet day - we got rained on in 2005 at the PVGP show where those photos were taken ( Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix ). The car looks a little darker there since it was overcast.

Thanks Jared! It's a blast to drive. I won't care if gas goes over $10 a gallon - I'll still drive it whenever I can!!! :veryhappy: Cheaper than therapy!!!

94Cobra
05-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Welcome Ron! That was indeed a wet day at the PVGP car show. It was a lot of fun even with the rain. Nice shots of the car!

PaxtonShelby
05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks Bob!!!.....er...I mean... '94 Cobra!!!!! :cool3:

BoneCrusher
05-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Awesome ride man, welcome aboard

Troll
05-29-2007, 12:43 PM
//////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

PaxtonShelby
05-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks Troll! Actually, the Ivy Green is about the only part of the car that actually matches the data plate!! As you can tell, I'm not a huge stickler for originality!!! At least not with this car. My wife's '66 GT, on the other hand, is completely original. It's a factory GT coupe, Emberglow with parchment standard interior, 225 horsepower A code ( 4-barrell ) motor, C4, A/C, P/S, console, AM/8 track, styled steel wheels. It's a San Jose car with 100% original sheetmetal. Both of the cars are rarer colors that you don't see every day, and to me that's some of the appeal.

Thanks again for the welcome, and take care.

Ron

03 OW SVT
05-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Bad Ass ride :twothumbsup: Welcome to the board

Slow01GT
05-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the site. Great looking car you got there.

Stangzrule
05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Welcome and nice ride.

wick
05-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Welcome. Thats a nice car there.:goodidea:

no1fordgirl
05-29-2007, 04:44 PM
:welcome4:

Beautiful Stang :goodidea:

INSANELY CRAZY
05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
welcome. sweet ride

One Sweet Day
05-29-2007, 08:38 PM
http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/309/309063tv1t7u30g9.gifnice to see another classic on the site!:goodidea: original owner?

u1arunit
05-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the site!

That is my new favorite classic on the site as well!

I work in Moon. I don't think I have seen the car but I will be on the lookout for ya.

Sonic03snake
05-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for signing up!!!! I believe ive met you a few times at the Quaker City track rentals.:awsome:

coralcoupe1993
05-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Welcome! Close to me!

Rodeheaver's
05-29-2007, 10:00 PM
welcome

White5.0
05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
welcome very nice ride

PaxtonShelby
05-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys (and gal) for the welcome and all the nice comments. Definitely enjoying this site so far. Lots of good info and friendly gearheads!

Hi Lou - saw a photo of you and your '03 and I thought I had met you before. I wish my car ran like yours! But one 5k launch with my stock T5 and I'd probably be asking for a tow home!! Looks like you've done some "tweaking" since the last time I saw you at the track. 10.5 - NICE!!!!:thumbsup:
The last time at the track I had some clutch issues - turned out my clutch cable was stretching and preparing to snap. I made it home, but it broke on my way to the Flashlight Drags the next weekend. It has been sitting ever since - I'm looking into new cable setups that are less prone to failing. Hopefully I'll have it back on the road in a few weeks.

One Sweet Day - I'm not the original owner. My car is about 2 years older than I am. I bought it in '92, and finally got it back on the road in 1999. What a mess it was - needed floors, a quarter panel, rad support, battery apron, taillight panel, and so on. But it's 100% rust free and super solid now. Of course, you know it's never "really" done - but I don't plan on any more "upgrades" for a few years. What year is your car? Are you the original owner? Looks like a 65-'68, but the photo is too small for me to tell. I don't get out your way very often, except for a few times when I had to visit Climent Bros for parts for my Dad's '63 R2 Studebaker Avanti. Stepping into that place was like going back in time...

u1arunit / Mark - nice looking ride! Where in Moon do you work? My wife and I have both lived here since day 1. I work up a Bayer and try to drive the car to work on nice days. Feel free to say hey if you see me out in the car.

Rodeheaver / Tim? - thanks for the welcome - I think I talked to you or some of your guys at the Flashlight Drags 2 years ago. You were running a really quick primer grey pre-'87 with a 347. I think I need to give you a shout for some advice on a number of topics, from excessive crankcase pressure to boost limits for a 351 block. Maybe tomorrow night if I have time I'll shoot you a message. I'm hearing / reading lots of great things about your shop.

Thanks again everyone.

shawnsvtcobra
05-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Welcome To SCS.

One Sweet Day
05-30-2007, 09:55 AM
One Sweet Day - I'm not the original owner. My car is about 2 years older than I am. I bought it in '92, and finally got it back on the road in 1999. What a mess it was - needed floors, a quarter panel, rad support, battery apron, taillight panel, and so on. But it's 100% rust free and super solid now. Of course, you know it's never "really" done - but I don't plan on any more "upgrades" for a few years. What year is your car? Are you the original owner? Looks like a 65-'68, but the photo is too small for me to tell. I don't get out your way very often, except for a few times when I had to visit Climent Bros for parts for my Dad's '63 R2 Studebaker Avanti. Stepping into that place was like going back in time...
Actually my Dad is the original owner. The car in my avatar isn't mine, but its hott. lol. Ours ( the car technically belongs to my brother)is a '69 vert. I'll dig up the thread with the pics. It's a mess right now really. Has been in storage since the 80s since my family has the stupid boys work on cars and girls go to beauty school type mentality. Plus the storage unit we have it at doesn't allow you to work on cars there. But lately I've been pushing my brother to work on it, he didn't have much interest in it till I started showing him a few things. He just turned 16 and is moving to NC with my fam, so the car will be finished down there. You will probably be able to tell from a number of threads that I am (and have been for about three months now...) in the market for a fox body. I have basically found the one I want, but thats another story. Do you have any pics of your Dad's car?

PaxtonShelby
05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't have any photos of my Dad's car handy, but I'll try to download some and post them this week. It's a great car. The factory Paxton and 4-speed really make it run. He also has a '57 TBird that is almost ready for paint. I can't wait to see that one done - I used to drive it back in high school - man was that fun! It will be Starmist Blue ( baby blue ) with white interior and the Kelsey Hayes wire wheels.

I know it's tough not having the space to work on your car. My Mustang was at my Grandma's garage for 3 years after I bought it, until my wife and I bought a house. That's part of the reason my restoration took almost 8 years... I really like the '69 bodystyle - you don't see many of those verts these days, as everyone wanted the Mach 1 look at the time. What are your plans for the car?

I have owned 2 fox cars - first an '88 GT hatch with a T5, and later an '87 GT Vert with a T5. They both were were charcoal gray / silver and a lot of fun. Good luck making a deal on the one you're looking for. I currently have a '95 SHO for a driver, but hope to step up to an '05+ GT coupe in the next 2-3 years, at which point I will promptly bolt on a Kenne Bell supercharger. After all - I have to get to work on time in the morning...

One Sweet Day
05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't have any photos of my Dad's car handy, but I'll try to download some and post them this week. It's a great car. The factory Paxton and 4-speed really make it run. He also has a '57 TBird that is almost ready for paint. I can't wait to see that one done - I used to drive it back in high school - man was that fun! It will be Starmist Blue ( baby blue ) with white interior and the Kelsey Hayes wire wheels.

I know it's tough not having the space to work on your car. My Mustang was at my Grandma's garage for 3 years after I bought it, until my wife and I bought a house. That's part of the reason my restoration took almost 8 years... I really like the '69 bodystyle - you don't see many of those verts these days, as everyone wanted the Mach 1 look at the time. What are your plans for the car?

I have owned 2 fox cars - first an '88 GT hatch with a T5, and later an '87 GT Vert with a T5. They both were were charcoal gray / silver and a lot of fun. Good luck making a deal on the one you're looking for. I currently have a '95 SHO for a driver, but hope to step up to an '05+ GT coupe in the next 2-3 years, at which point I will promptly bolt on a Kenne Bell supercharger. After all - I have to get to work on time in the morning...
http://www.steelcitystangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2344 here is the link to some pics of our '69. Yeah, car room has always been tight at my parents, usually 7 cars there. lol. I've usually had two, so when I moved they were quite happy. I'm not big on verts, but I like the pre70s in vert better....don't ask why, I don't know. lol. The paint isn't factory and I don't know the name, but I love it! We checked out whats what on the car and almost everything works, just really needs the engine bay sand blasted. new top and front bumper also.
I can't wait to get a fox. The one I'm looking at is a '89 GT. the other option is a '91 Lx, but I'm not as crazy about the lx. both are really clean and a steal for the price. The '89 is white with tan leather seats. Which is what my solara is now. The '91 is black, which I love! I actually want to get two, but pretty much everyone I know is telling me no. lol.

u1arunit
05-30-2007, 11:21 AM
u1arunit / Mark - nice looking ride! Where in Moon do you work? My wife and I have both lived here since day 1. I work up a Bayer and try to drive the car to work on nice days. Feel free to say hey if you see me out in the car.

Thanks for the kind words. I am a parts manager at West Hills Nissan. Moon is a nice area. I started here in parts in 1983 at the old West Hills Auto Parts.

fork5o
05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
welcome to the site! awesome looking ride.:awsome: im also from around the area, ill keep a look out for you.

billyNOTnice
05-30-2007, 11:37 AM
welcome

PaxtonShelby
05-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm sure I'd know you to see you then. I always used to go to WHAP. My Dad owns Carnot Beer right down the road from you, & I live at 110 Vanita Drive off of Sharon Road, less than a mile from your shop. I'll keep my eyes open for your car.

PaxtonShelby
05-30-2007, 12:16 PM
OSD - good luck with your '69. That is a nice color. I know a guy with a '69 Mach painted close to that color. Really sharp. Keep chipping away at that project - when it's done you'll know it was worth the effort.