PDA

View Full Version : 03 cobra transmission removal

xxtorinoxx
03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I haven't posted on here for a while but it is good to be back,

I have to have my t-56 rebuilt due to a bad syncronizer and possibly a bent shift rod. I am going to remove the transmission at home and take it to a friend to do the work.

My question is where am i going to run into problems with removing the transmission?

Is it worth it to install a 26 spline input shaft??

Whats the best clutch to go with if it needs replaced also??

Also its nice to see some more terminators in Butler.:thumbsup:

dpstang98gt
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
hey whats up man i also live in East Liverpool i never seen your car around?
but if you got the cash to go with a 26 spline input it would be a good idea, definately a weak spot on the t-56
i went with a dual friction centerforce clutch, but heard RAM was also a good clutch

KBCobra
03-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I'd say the spline depends your future with the car. You plan on heavier "go fast" mods, alot of racing? etc etc

I did one on mine when I did my motor, but only because it was out of the car and figured what the heck. I had 33k hard miles on my stock input shaft, never had an issue. As well has many others have broke them doing less.

As dpstang said, RAM is the way to go. I got my RAM Powergrips from Lou, always great prices. and awesome clutches!!! If you keep the aluminum flywheel, u will see some chatter with the ram, but it's easy to get used to. I eventually went to a steel flywheel, it pretty much eliminated the chatter.

97LaserRed
03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
best clutch is a hard one. its all personal prefence. i have a ram hdx. i love it!! its hard but not too hard it would be great for a daily. spec clutch can be hard although ive heard plenty of bad thing about them aswell as good things too. i know spec clutchs like to chatter. centerforce is a very good brand. remember you get what you pay for and centerforce can prove that! they are expensive but prob the best clutch out there!! otherwise i say RAM FTW!!!

you should probally have no problems removing. upgrading to 26 spline is a good idea. although i dont know much about terminators

724COBRA
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I haven't posted on here for a while but it is good to be back,

I have to have my t-56 rebuilt due to a bad syncronizer and possibly a bent shift rod. I am going to remove the transmission at home and take it to a friend to do the work.

My question is where am i going to run into problems with removing the transmission?

Is it worth it to install a 26 spline input shaft??

Whats the best clutch to go with if it needs replaced also??

What's up buddy, nice ride! There are a couple guys from Butler with 03/04's on here. Don't think I have ever seen your car around. As far as the input shaft, I don't know a whole lot, but I just ordered a 26 spline. I am going to be running a KB this year though. Not sure what the stock limit is. Someone on here will give you better answers. Just wanted to say hello to a fellow Butlerite

xxtorinoxx
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I dont drive it around butler too much anymore since i moved to ohio two years ago. I store the car at my dad's out there during the winter months and only get back there every two weeks or so the rest of the year.

I probably plan on racing the car again in the future but that is still up in the air.Fiance is pretty pissed about the money i will be putting into it to fix this. Plus i should do a little more racing with my 68 torino this year anyway. I did the damage racing it at quaker city last summer and the car has been driven hard since i have owned it. I will probably upgrade to the 28 spline input shaft anyway.

dpstang98gt
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I dont drive it around butler too much anymore since i moved to ohio two years ago. I store the car at my dad's out there during the winter months and only get back there every two weeks or so the rest of the year.

I probably plan on racing the car again in the future but that is still up in the air.Fiance is pretty pissed about the money i will be putting into it to fix this. Plus i should do a little more racing with my 68 torino this year anyway. I did the damage racing it at quaker city last summer and the car has been driven hard since i have owned it. I will probably upgrade to the 28 spline input shaft anyway.

do you work at Wal-Mart or somewhere else in that plaza in Calcutta? Now that i think about it, i think i seen your car parked at the end of the lot a few times

RUTHLESS
03-05-2009, 01:44 PM

Yes but you didnt have to have the same color as mine too. Do you know how far I had to drive to get mine. :rofl:

And you have more power! Oh this is not right. lol

Man you tricked me. So you moved from Butler? I was getting excited until I started reading. We would have had 4 cars around the Butler area. Man 4 of us ripping up main street would be more excitment then that place has seen in 20 years. lol

xxtorinoxx
03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
do you work at Wal-Mart or somewhere else in that plaza in Calcutta? Now that i think about it, i think i seen your car parked at the end of the lot a few times

i do work at the wal-mart so you have seen the car up there during the summer.

dpstang98gt
03-05-2009, 06:42 PM
i do work at the wal-mart so you have seen the car up there during the summer.

ya man i always wondered whos car that was, always looked good too:goodidea:, but i live in calcutta on the road behind tractor supply! theres a few of us around the area that cruise up to boardman a lot u should go up sometime