Thread: 2005 Focus wagon issue

2005 Focus wagon issue

Hi all, my new to me daily driver is a decently clean low mile (74k now) 2005 Focus wagon ZXW. I had to replace the battery Friday, which I knew was coming. It was old, and the cold finished it off. It ran great over the weekend, but today it loses power while driving, regardless of what I do with the gas pedal (partial or full throttle). It will then start kind of surging, kind of bucking as it picks up rpm and mph, then clears up and goes normal for a 2-3 tenths of a mile, then does it again. It will want to stall out at stops. When I parked tonight, it was doing the same at idle, sounds like it is running super rough, like on 2 cylinders, before cleaning up and idling smooth and I can take it up in rpm easily. Anyone ever run into this?
    ChuckT
    Sponsored by
    Wholesale Transmission - New Kensington
    Millerstown Pic A Part

Kickin it Old School somethingclever's Avatar
    No CEL?

If not, then I would throw some spark plugs at it to start....had a similiar issue before but a little more sporadic than when you describe. Could tell it was mis-firing but oddly no code.

Fresh plugs had me back running low 16's in the 1/8. :)
    -JOHN

Carburetors and SAE wrenches.................

Buy Made in the USA - It Matters.

It’s been a minute since I’ve messed with a 2.0 but …

everything from plugs, wires, coils, and wiring connections to the coils could be a culprit in those things. I would start as John siuggested with a fresh set of plugs, but carefully inspect everything you touch for cracks, loose, damaged in around that. Sooner or later it should set a misfire code, but they usually take a while to set it. If I was to take a guess, I’d look really close at the connections on the plugs, and be real suspicious if the plugs are fresh (damage from someone else pulling them).
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo -Best 1/8th - 6.24@109, Best 1/4 - 9.82@136...Still only a 4 banger

as long as its not the single over head cam , i agree to check plugs and wires mine would go thru them once a year or so
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE