Thread: Gt40P Heads Spark plug Gap.

Gt40P Heads Spark plug Gap.

I did a complete tune up on the 1990 mustang and its developed a miss, breaking up when going about 2000 rpm. I double and triple checked my firing order and timing and both are good. My question is has anyone ever gapped a spark plug too much and had problems. I've messed with plug gap before in my s10 with a 350 and never had any issues. Now this car has gt40p heads ,engine is a 302 and I'm running autolite 764 plugs in it which old owner had in it. I gapped them at .054like I have on my other mustangs. Did a google search and people are all over the place with the gap with these heads and plugs. Anyone run a setup like this or have any suggestions , Going to pull out whatever hair I have left.

Did plugs ,wires ,cap and rotor. double checked plugs yesterday and gaps are what I set them at.
    Last edited by jclose11; 09-10-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Make sure the wires are fully seated on the plugs and distributor cap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Did you use a dab of dialectric grease on the plug tips and cap tips?
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Yes I did. I bought new plugs today going to throw another set in even thou I just put new ones in. Co worker said he has had new plugs that were bad new out the box, and I got wire looms coming so the wires are not touching.

Hi! I'M DAKS #1 BITCH! TooFast98Cobra's Avatar
    There are a bunch of cracked porcelain ngk plugs out there currently.

Do you still have the original plugs and are they the same thread length? Years ago on my 94 I swapped out the GT40 heads for aluminum heads and used the stock plugs. Turned out the plugs were too short to reach all the way into the combustion port and causing a misfire like you describe.

don't be afraid to gap them down some and see if that helps I run .028 on my boosted set up
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 f150 crew cab coyote powered

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE