Thread: Pittsburgh, North Hills- Who wants to work on my 94 Cobra ??

Pittsburgh, North Hills- Who wants to work on my 94 Cobra ??

Hello. I'm back after a long absence. Different car now, nearly 100% bone stock down to the air silencer 1994 Cobra with 61K mi. This one came along after a couple of Fox bodies- and a 271/289 K motor way back. Didn't know this site was here until someone on Corral pointed me this way. Thought it ended with Steel City Stangs ...

Anyway, age has caught up. So I'm not inclined to do much on my own anymore. I sold off my floor jack and stands 5-6 years ago thinking I was pretty much done with this stuff after the last Fox. Oh well. I'm looking for a dyed in the wool Mustang guy who likes some side work and knows what he's doing and trustworthy. Don't want to pay $100+ per hour dealer prices so ... Someone reasonably close to North Hills 15237 maybe? I get to Norwin on occasion (not 5-18 though) and will be at Victory when it opens. Some other shows too.

Car runs fine, not exactly quick enough for me, but neither am I now. Still with the original 3:08 gear, really needs another 25-50 horsepower. Wish it had the response and free rev of that K motor ... Don't want to change the rear gear, 1st is already too low- but you already know that. Makes all the right noises, brakes are great, handles well, AC blows cold. It's super clean. But ..

I'm reading the harmonic balancers on these 94-95 5L cars like to go South, I want it replaced along with the typical tune up parts. I was going to buy this balancer from Summit - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...odel/svt-cobra The oil cooler appears to have a minor leak, seems like the best way to go is just remove it and use GT hoses, and save all original parts. Car doesn't see the strip or hard street use, or rain for that matter.

Anyone interested? Or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

PS- American Muscle side stripes have been removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    Welcome back! That’s a REALLY clean Cobra. Only cosmetic change I’d do would be to lose the rocker decals. To wake up the motor your best bet is probably H/C/I. I bet some folks here have some upgrades sitting around. I sold mine a few years ago.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

Thanks Paxton!

Yep, stripes are already gone, pics are from last year when I bought the car. It's as clean underside as it is up top. Was a North Carolina car until 2004, only 14K Pittsburgh area miles since then. I passed by this car all the time for the two previous summers, it was a mile from me. Sometimes it was parked outside with a for sale sign on it, sometimes no sign. Would disappear for the winters. I swore I would never buy a 94-98 body style, but it kept growing on me. More and more. I stopped to see it a couple of times, but thought no, no, don't be going there again. I was (sort of) hoping somebody would buy it and end my misery. Finally one day there were signs all over it, and that was that. It's not flawless, but just too nice to pass up.

Appreciate the H/C/I advice, my crude white 88 coupe was all of that and more. I think best to leave this one it as it is. The Cobra did have surprising many differences compared to the same model GT, but just doesn't translate into sub 14's stock- which would be okay for me now. S/C is maybe a thought, highly unlikely though. Don't want to lose the driveabilty or AC or having tuning worries.

Just looking for someone who can get the best out of it stock and take care of that balancer and oil cooler.

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    You can’t go wrong with Tim Rodeheaver at Rodeheavers Hot Rods in Masontown, PA. About an hour away but a great guy who knows his Fords. He installed and dyno tuned the drivetrain in my ‘66.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands

x2 on tim and he can tune the car too and that will help the most along with getting the cats off there
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126
    68 f100 SB soon to be coyote powered
    12 GT 6m cobra jet powered 11.4 @124
    90 lx supercharged 440 rwhp on 8 lbs
    17 triple yellow focus ST2

PEOPLE HAVE MORE FUN THAN ANYONE

Quote Originally Posted by yeahloh95 View Post
    x2 on tim and he can tune the car too and that will help the most along with getting the cats off there
    Thanks Paxton and Yeahloh95. Tim got my Fox coupe straightened out some years ago after someone else did what they did, I'll leave it at that. I'd go see Tim in a minute. The "problem" for me is his shop is ~ 3 hours and 150 miles round trip from me and my wife hates to drive unless it's North Hills local. If I could schedule it where he could do it all in one day that would be doable.

Yeahloh95- How much of a bottleneck are those cats? Significant in your experience?? Would it have to be tuned just for off road H?

my buddy paul had the same year cobra but with a few more miles of road pipe really woke it up and sounded great even with the stock mufflers that and tune and you would be all set
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126

Quote Originally Posted by wht88cpe View Post
    Thanks Paxton and Yeahloh95. Tim got my Fox coupe straightened out some years ago after someone else did what they did, I'll leave it at that. I'd go see Tim in a minute. The "problem" for me is his shop is ~ 3 hours and 150 miles round trip from me and my wife hates to drive unless it's North Hills local. If I could schedule it where he could do it all in one day that would be doable.

Yeahloh95- How much of a bottleneck are those cats? Significant in your experience?? Would it have to be tuned just for off road H?
    Drive down, Uber back? Do they have Uber’s by his shop?

Thanks guys, appreciate the ideas! Never did Uber ... I'm old. The Cobra does seem out of breath early to me. My 271/289 loved the higher RPM stuff (on most days), and it was all original. Maybe time for a solid lifter carb motor. Ha, ha. Of course no cats and smog to worry about. And Sunoco 104 octane was 29.9 cents a gallon.

Side Stripes removed

+ 1 more.

Looks great without the stripes!

might need a set of lowering springs ?
    Troy
    95 gt 11.3 @ 126

Thanks guys. It would look better all lower and hunkered down with some fat tires! Then it would have to perform the part. But our driveway is too steep where it meets the road.. I feel lucky it doesn't scrape now, so lower is out. I can accept it for being just the way Ford built it except for that wheezing and missing 25 horsepower.

Where's that Ford guy semi close to North Hills?

Extra photo is different angle and makes the stance look different, but the same ...

Air ride suspension will fix that problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I remember that Avatar Viper_ed, doesn't get old.

I can live with the ride height, it's okay. Wife (not me) wants to move to FL, won't be a worry to lower it some if she wins.

Buy air ride and move Wife to FL = Win for all!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brilliant!

Speaking of Air Ride ...

Viper_ed called this one. Looks great. Painted mirrors look good too. Has a Texas plate on it.
    Bone stock Rio Red 1994 Mustang Cobra