Thread: 7.5 Rear end. Problem

7.5 Rear end. Problem

I just picked up a 1985 lx 5.0. and the rear end is going in it, moving it around the driveway it clunks really bad ever couple of feet. I pulled the cover and didn't any visible damage., My question is should I rebuild the 7.5 or upgrade to a 8.8 Its been so long since I've messed with gears in the rear end. I am a little nervous but going to try. Thanks. Car is stock not going to race it or anything.

Just get an 8.8. That's what I did with my 85. Picked up a complete 3.55 rear drum to drum at Carlisle back in the day. If you wait a couple weeks you might be able to find one there too.

No Traction due to Paxton PaxtonShelby's Avatar
    7.5 is not adequate for a 5.0. Get an 8.8 and while you’re at it go for a better gear. 3.55 or 3.73 is nice for a lightly modded streetsble 5.0 T5 combo.
    2014 GT Premium - Sterling Gray Metallic - MT82 - Track Pack - Glass Roof - Recaro seats - Spoiler delete
    12.76 @ 114.04 bone stock. Koni yellow coil-overs, BMR watts, LCA and LCA relo brackets, Borla S-type axle back.

1966 Coupe - 331 stroker - Bullet custom roller cam - cam and motor installed and dyno tuned by Rodeheavers Hot Rod - Astro A5 - McLeod RXT - 486 to the wheels - more fun than my little tires can handle

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado - currently NOT on jackstands